Tuesday, January 01, 2013

News at Eleven: [Benjamin Zephaniah] remembers, during the riots

last year, arguing with kids who had been involved. "Because I wanted to make them more political, more aware. One of the things they will say to people like me is: 'You're so political, man, I don't deal with politics.' And I was saying, 'If you want to make a change, be political. I like that anger you have. In fact, in politics, there isn't enough of that! I tell my story--I remember being in prison, thinking, 'I want to change the world, and now I'm sitting in a cell. What am I doing?' When I got out, the guard said, 'Oh, you'll be back in a few weeks.' And I looked at him and said, 'I'm not saying I won't come back--it's possible--but the next time it'll be political.' And he looked at me and said, 'Mmmm.'"

from The Guardian: Benjamin Zephaniah: 'There isn't enough anger in politics'

~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments :